Need Tally
for Clients?

Contact Us! Here

  Tally Auditor

License (Renewal)
  Tally Gold

License Renewal

  Tally Silver

License Renewal
  Tally Silver

New Licence
  Tally Gold

New Licence
Open DEMAT Account with in 24 Hrs and start investing now!
General »
Open DEMAT Account in 24 hrs
 Centre seen to have met FY24 gross tax target
 6 income tax rules that salaried should know as financial year 2024-25 starts from today
 How to calculate income tax on stock market gains along with your salary?
 Moonlighting for Additional Income? Know Its Tax Implications
 Have you claimed education cess? Be prepared to pay tax as per the new rules
 Reserve Bank - Integrated Ombudsman Scheme, 2021 (RBIOS, 2021)
 How is tax computed for selling a house?
 How much tax do you pay on equity investments?
 Fuel taxes: Centre s gains striking since FY16
 Tax rules for NRIs on sale of assets located in India
 ITR filing: Know tax rules that apply to freelancers in India

Are you liable to pay tax on money received as gift?
August, 27th 2018

My brother sold a house that he inherited from our father and gave me Rs 10 lakh from the sale proceeds. Am I liable to pay tax on this amount? Under which head should I report this income in my ITR?

Amit Maheshwari Partner, Ashok Maheshwary and Associates replies, "As the house was inherited by your brother, he is liable to pay the capital gains tax on its sale proceeds, as he was the owner of the property. According to Section 56(2) of the Income Tax Act, any sum received from relatives is not chargeable to tax. So, if this amount is received as gift from your brother, it will be exempt in your hand. It is advisable to disclose the amount received you under ‘exempt income’ head in your income tax return."

I bought a commercial property in 1999-2000 in Delhi and had been using it for my own business. Now I want to sell it. To save capital gains tax, will I have to invest just the gains or the entire sale proceeds in bonds specified under Sec 54EC?

Rakesh Bhargava Director, Taxmann replies, "You are required to invest the capital gains and not the entire sale proceeds to claim Section 54EC tax exemption. Investment in bonds issued by NHAI or RECL has to be done within six month of the date of sale of the property. You can claim a maximum deduction of `50 lakh under Section 54EC."

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2024 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Ritz Consulting