Clarification regarding the limitation time for filing of appeals before the CIT(Appeals) under the Income-tax Act, 1961 (the Act)
May, 26th 2021
Circular No. I 0 12021
Government of India Ministry of Finance Department of Revenue Central Board of Direct Taxes
New Delhi, Dated 25th May, 2021
Subject: Clarification regarding the limitation time for filing of appeals before the CIT(Appeals) under the Income-tax Act,1961 (the Act)
1. The Central Board of Direct Taxes has issued Circular NO. 8 of 2021 on 30th April 2021 providing various relaxations till 31 st May 2021 including extending time for filing the appeals before CIT(Appeals). At the same time, the Hon'ble Supreme Court vide order dated 2ythAprii 2021 in Suo Motu Writ Petition (Civil) NO.3 of 2020 restored the order dated 23rd March, 2020 and in continuation of the order dated 8th March, 2021 directed that the period(s) of limitation , as prescribed under any General or Special Laws in respect of all judicial or quasi-judicial proceedings, whether condonable or not, shall stand extended till further orders.
2. The Central Board of Direct Taxes, clarifies that if different relaxations are available
to the taxpayers for a particular compliance, the taxpayer is entitled to the relaxation
which is more beneficial to him. Thus, for the purpose of counting the period(s) of
limitation for filing of appeals before the CIT(Appeals) under the Act, the taxpayer is
entitled to a relaxation which is more beneficial to him and hence the said limitation
stands extended till further orders as ordered by the Hon'ble Supreme Court in Suo
Motu Writ Petition (Civil) NO.3 of 2020 vide order dated 2yth April 2021.
(Prajna Paramita) Director to the Government of India.
1. PS to F.M.I PS to MoS (F).
2. PS to Revenue Secretary.
3. Chairman (CBDT)& All Members of CBDT.
4. All Pro CCsIT/CCsIT/Pr. DGsITIDGslT.
5. All Joint SecretariesiCslT, CBDT.
6. Directors/Deputy Secretaries/Under Secretaries of CBDT.
7. Web Manager, with a request to place the order on official Income-tax website.
8. CIT (M&TP) , Official Spokesperson of CBDT with a request to publicize widely.
9. JCIT, Data Base Cell for placing it on irsofficersonline.gov.in.
10. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, IP Estate, New Delhi.
11 . All Chambers of Commerce. ~ p~ 12. The Guard File.
(Pra' Paramita) Director to the Govern nt of India.