Need Tally
for Clients?

Contact Us! Here

  Tally Auditor

License (Renewal)
  Tally Gold

License Renewal

  Tally Silver

License Renewal
  Tally Silver

New Licence
  Tally Gold

New Licence
Open DEMAT Account with in 24 Hrs and start investing now!
Direct Tax »
Open DEMAT Account in 24 hrs
 Govt kicks off direct tax code revision
 ITR 2024 25 Check tax department s update on TDS and refunds
 Income Tax: Why did some taxpayers receive notice for discrepancy in house rent receipt? IT Dept explains
 Income tax exemption: 4 financial instruments you can still invest into before March 31
 CBDT drops small tax demands but not TCS, TDS claims
 ITR Refund: Awaiting money from Income Tax? Here's why you have not yet received your amount
 Income Tax Notice: What to do if you receive a Section 143 (1) notice from taxman?
 Average tax return processing time cut to 10 days: CBDT
 7 types of Income Tax Notice ITR filers may receive for AY 2023-24
 ITR filing: Do these advance preparations before filing your income tax return
 What are the strategies to maximize tax refunds after submitting an income tax return (ITR)?

Indian residents can get credit of taxes paid outside country while filing ITR
May, 14th 2019

Indians who are working in India for foreign companies are allowed to accept compensation or remuneration in India. Please note that those who are resident in India for tax purposes have to report their global income in India. Therefore, this compensation must be included in your tax return filed in India. It is possible that your employer may deduct some taxes at source or you may have to file a local tax return in that country. If that happens, you will be allowed to take credit of taxes paid outside India while filing your Indian tax return. Make sure you include this income in your Indian tax return and make other disclosures and provide all the information required to become eligible to take credit of foreign taxes paid.

My daughter left India in September 2018 for a job abroad. Will she be taxed in India for the income she earns abroad?

Whether your income will be taxed in India depends on your residential status in India. Residential status must be checked for each financial year.

This is how residential status is established in India for tax purposes.

Conditions: a) you are in India for 182 days or more in the financial year (FY); or b) you are in India for 60 days or more in the FY and 365 days or more in the four FYs immediately preceding the relevant FY.

Additional conditions: you are resident in India in two of the 10 FYs immediately preceding the relevant FY; and you are in India in the seven years immediately preceding the relevant FY for 729 days or more.

If you meet any of the first set of conditions and both the additional conditions, you shall be considered a resident in India. If you meet any of the first conditions but do not meet the additional conditions, you shall be considered a resident but not ordinarily resident (RNOR) in India. If you do not meet any of the first conditions, you shall be a non-resident in India.

However, condition b) does not apply to Indian citizens who have left India for employment abroad. Since your daughter has left India in September 2018, you must calculate the exact number of days spent in India by her in FY2018-19 and accordingly identify her residential status.

Those who are residents in India must pay tax in India on their global income. RNOR and non-residents are not required to pay tax in India on income which is earned outside India.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2024 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Ritz Consulting