ITR 1 Sahaj Form: The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has notified the new ITR forms for the assessment year 2023-24. The new assessment year will start on April 1. To file the ITR, the Income Tax Department offers seven forms -- ITR 1, ITR 2, ITR 3, ITR 4, ITR 5, ITR 6 and ITR 7, according to the official website incometaxindia.gov.in.
What is ITR 1 Sahaj Form?
ITR 1 form is also called Sahaj form. It is the most commonly used form for ITR filing. ITR 1 is filed by taxpayers whose income is up to Rs 50 lakh.
Income Tax: Who is eligible for ITR 1 Sahaj Form for AY 2022-23?
Any individual with a total income of up to Rs 50 lakh during the financial year and from the following sources is eligible for ITR 1 Sahaj Form for AY 2022-23.
- Salaries professionals: Individuals whose income is from salary
- Income from residential property
- Family pension income
- Agricultural income of up to Rs 5000.
- Income from and other sources such as interest from savings accounts, deposits (Bank / Post Office / Cooperative Society), Income Tax Refund, Interest received on Enhanced Compensation or any other interest income, family pension.
- Income of spouse (other than those covered under Portuguese Civil Code) or minor is clubbed (only if the source of income is within the specified limits).
ITR 1 Sahaj Form: Documents required to file ITR-1
One requires Form 16, house rent receipt and investment payment premium receipts.
Though ITRs are annexure-less forms i.e., one is not required to attach any document along with the return, however, one needs to keep these documents ready if in a situation produced before tax authorities such as assessment, inquiry, etc. One can file an ITR through- both online and offline methods modes.
Income tax return filing: Step by Step guide to e-file ITR 1 Sahaj Form
Step 1: Using your user ID and password, log in to the e-filing portal on the official
Step 2: Click on 'e-File' followed by 'Income Tax Returns'. Click on 'File Income Tax Return'.
Step 3: Select AY 2023–24 and the mode of filing as online and proceed. If you have already filled the ITR, click 'Resume Filing' for submission (pending). In case you wish to start afresh click 'Start New Filing'.
Step 4: Select 'status' as applicable to you and click continue to proceed further.
Step 5: You get two options to select the type of Income Tax Return. Select the ITR form, if not sure which ITR to file, you may select 'Help me decide which ITR Form to file' and click 'Proceed'.