Tally for CAs in Industry Silver Edition (Single User) Tally Renewal (Auditor Edition) Need Tally for Clients? (Tie-up with us!!!)
Open DEMAT Account with in 24 Hrs and start investing now!
Direct Tax »
Open DEMAT Account in 24 hrs
 Income Tax Rules Are Changing from April 1, Here's a Look at New Norms
 From April 1, You Need To Make All Such Disclosures In ITR
 Here are the consequences that you may face on missing March 31 deadline Not filed ITR yet
 Income Tax for non-residents: Stranded in India & facing double taxation? New CBDT circular explained for you
 Direct tax collection beats FY21 revised estimates
 Direct tax mop-up betters estimate for the first time in four years
 Direct tax collection inches closer to revised Budget target for 2020-21
 CBDT amends Income Tax Rules to set up Taxpayer Data Collection
 Notification No. 10/2021 CENTRAL BOARD OF DIRECT TAXES
 ITR not processed yet? Make sure you check and resolve your Tax Credit mismatch, urges Income Tax Dept
 The PF will be taxable at your marginal rate of tax

The PF will be taxable at your marginal rate of tax
February, 26th 2021

The period of service is an important factor. If you have completed a continuous period of service for five years and more, then the maturity proceeds received are tax-free in your hands. Also, what is important is the period of holding, i.e., the corpus standing at the end of your retirement date is the tax-free corpus. The interest earned on the corpus post no active contribution is taxable in your hands as per your marginal rate of tax. This implies that post-retirement there being no contribution, the interest accrued is taxable, i.e., March 2019 interest is taxable in the income tax return of FY19.

I am working in a PSU and we have only NPS. In my previous job, I was covered in EPF and I worked there only for three years, meaning I would have to pay tax for withdrawal. But whenever I submit the claim form, I get an error message saying “the name in the EPF does not match with the name in the income tax database" and because of this, I may have to pay around 33% of the amount as tax if I submit the request since the withdrawal amount is greater than 50,000. What do I do to get the amount claimed by paying TDS of 10% only?


You need to check your name in the records of your previous employer and your PAN card as that is the record holder in the income tax database. In case there is no difference between the two, then follow up with your previous employer. In the event of any difference in the name, you need to get it rectified at one of the two places so that it matches for ease of withdrawal. However, this will not change the tax rate applicable.

As your continuous period of service is less than five years, the PF is taxable at your marginal rate of tax.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2021 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Ritz Consulting