Tally for CAs in Industry Silver Edition (Single User) Tally Renewal (Auditor Edition) Need Tally for Clients? (Tie-up with us!!!)
Open DEMAT Account with in 24 Hrs and start investing now!
General »
Open DEMAT Account in 24 hrs
 Interest from NRE account is exempt from tax
 Amid dwindling interest rates, LIC of India launches new plan with guaranteed tax-free return
 VMC to act tough on property tax defaulters
 Tax on PF interest will change the way we invest in it: How the Budget hits your PF
 How does the Budget affect your money Taxes, housing, and income
 Haven t got income tax refund as yet? You may need to confirm it to the tax dept
 Income tax impact of switching in mutual funds explained in 5 points
 Income tax refund of this amount will not be paid by tax dept
 Can tenants claim security deposit in HRA tax exemption?
 Why the tax department did not extend return filing deadlines any further
 How to use equity rally for tax harvesting Smart Investing

Interest from NRE account is exempt from tax
February, 23rd 2021

Interest income from an NRE account is exempt from tax in India for NRIs. However, such income may have to be clubbed with your total income reported in the UK, according to local tax laws. It is recommended that you seek assistance from an expert to identify the tax implications of earning an interest income outside of the UK and whether any benefits are available to you under the Double Tax Avoidance Agreement.

I am an NRI. I have an NRI account in India, in which I keep my savings. From this account, I transfer a fixed amount every month to my wife’s savings account. She has no income of her own. She has a demat account in India and invests in stocks. Will tax be levied on this savings account if any interest is earned from the amount received from me? What would be the tax liability in case of capital gains from the stocks? In the above two cases, should I need to file any income tax return in India as an NRI? If yes, what is the correct ITR for an NRI to be filed?

A gift of money made to a specified relative in India is exempt from tax. Your wife is covered under specified relatives as per the Income Tax Act, therefore the money transferred by you shall not be considered as an income for your wife. So long as this money is transferred to meet regular expenses, there is no tax implication for you or for your wife. However, if this money is invested in shares to earn an income, such income may have to be clubbed with your income and reported in your income tax return filed in India. The rules regarding taxation of capital gains shall remain the same as applicable to an NRI, since this is being considered as part of your total income. Any interest income from the savings account is also likely to be clubbed along with your total income. If your total income taxable in India exceeds 2.5 lakh, you must file an income tax return in India and include the income mentioned above. Depending upon the other types of income you have, you will have to e-file ITR-2 in India.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2021 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Ritz Consulting