Exception to monetary limits for filing appeals specified in any Circular issued under Section 268A of the Income-tax Act, 1961
September, 10th 2019
Circular No. 23 of20l9
F. No. 279/Misc.lM-93/20l8-ITJ(Pt.)
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board Direct Taxes
New Delhi, 6th September 2019
Subject: -Exception to monetary limits for filing appeals specified in any Circular
issued under Section 268A of the Income-tax Act, 1961-reg
2. Several references have been received by the Board that in large number of cases where
organised tax-evasion scam is noticed through bogus Long-Term Capital Gain
(LTCG)/Short Term Capital Loss (STCL) on penny stocks and department is unable to
pursue the cases in higher judicial fora on ac count of enhanced monetary limits. It has been
reported that in large number of cases, ITATs and High Court have recognized the unique
modus operandi involved in such scam and have passed judgements in favour of the
revenue. However, in cases where some appellate fora have not given due consideration to
position of law or facts investigated by the department, there is no remedy available with
the department for filing further appeal in view of the prescribed monetary limits.
3. In this context, Board has decided that notwithstanding anything contained in any
circular issued U/S 268A specifying monetary limits for filing of departmental appeals
before Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (IT AT), High Courts and SLPs/appeals before
Supreme Court, appeals may be filed on merits as an exception to said circular, where
Board, by way of special order direct filing of appeal on merit in cases involved in
organised tax evasion activity.
4. Hindi version follows.
(N eetika13an~a'G -
CBDT, New Delhi
1. Chairman, Members and all other officers in CBDT of the rank of Under Secretary and
2. All Pr. Chief Commissioners oflncome tax and all Directors General oflncome Tax
3. ADG (PR, P&P), Mayur Bhawan, New Delhi for printing in the quarterly Tax Bulletin
and for circulation as per usual mailing list.
4. The Comptroller and Auditor General ofindia.
5. ADG (Vigilance), Mayur Bhawan, New Delhi.
6. Joint Secretary & Legal Advisor, Ministry of Law & Justice, New Delhi.
7. All Directorates of Income-tax, New Delhi and Pro DGIT(NADT), Nagpur.
8. ITCC (3 copies).
9. ADG (System)-4, for uploading on the Department's website.
10. Data Base Cell for uploading on irsofficersonline.gov.in.
11. firstname.lastname@example.org for uploading on NJRS.
12. Hindi Cell for translation.
13. Guard file.
6ii 0'1 lIQ.
(Neetika Bansa )
CBDT, New Delhi