sitemapHome | Registration | Job Portal for CA's | Expert Exchange | Currency Converter | Post Matrimonial Ads | Post Property Ads
News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
Latest Expert Exchange
« Sales Tax »
 Clarification on Cash sale of agricultural produce by Cultivators/Agriculturists
 Short-term capital gains are taxable at income tax slab rates in the year of sale
 India imposes regressive nationwide sales tax
 Modification of Circular No.1 of 2014 in view of substitution of Service Tax by Goods and Services Tax (GST).
 Assam government to dismantle all sales tax check-gates post Goods and Services Tax
 Income tax: How to calculate capital gains tax on sale of old jewellery
 Six arrested for posing as Sales Tax officers, extorting money
 Insurance Agency Mergers and Acquisitions in Q1 "Explode," OPTIS Partners' Report Reveals
 Sales tax sleuths raid spare parts shops in Meerut's infamous Sotiganj market
 Income Tax: How offshore income could be taxed twice
 India finalises bills to launch new sales tax in July

Instructions in light of Judgment of Honble Supreme Court on Sales Tax Incentive Scheme-reg.
September, 23rd 2014

Instructions in light of Judgment of Hon’ble Supreme Court on Sales Tax Incentive Scheme-reg. - Dated 17-9-2014 - Central Excise


F. No. 6/8/2014-CX.1

Government of India

Ministry of Finance

Department of Revenue

Central Board of Excise and Customs

Dt: 17.09.2014


           The Chief Commissioners of Central Excise (All)

Sub:  Instructions in light of Judgment of Hon’ble Supreme Court on Sales Tax Incentive Scheme-reg.

            Kind attention is invited to the judgment of Hon’ble Supreme Court in case of M/s Super Synotex India Ltd. [2014-TIOL-19-SC-CX] on the issue of abatement of sales tax under an abatement scheme where the assesse was allowed to retain 75% of the sales tax collected from the buyer and was required to deposit only the remaining 25% with the State Government. Under the circumstances, Hon’ble Court held that after 01.07.2000 i.e. under the transaction value regime, 75% of the sales tax retained by the assesse would form part of the assessable value, stating as follows in the paragraph 22,

 “ The amount paid or payable to the State Government towards sales tax, VAT, etc. is excluded because it is not an amount paid to the manufacturer towards the price, but an amount paid or payable to the State Government for sale transaction, i.e. transfer of title from the manufacturer to a third party. Accordingly, the amount paid to the State Government is only excludible from the transaction value. What is not payable or to be paid as sales tax/VAT, should not be charged from the third customer/party but if it is charged and is not payable or paid, it is a part and should not be excluded from the transaction value. This is the position after the amendment, for as per the amended provisions the words “transaction value” mean payment made on actual basis or actually paid by the assesse. The words that gain significance are “actually paid”. ”

2)    For further details the judgment may kindly be referred. This is an important judgment on the issue and may be brought to the notice of the trade and the assessing officers for finalisation of similar cases. Hindi version will follow. Difficulty, if any, in the implementation of the instruction may be brought to the notice of the Board.

Yours faithfully,



Copy to:  Members of the Board

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2018 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Application Management Solutions Application Management System Application Management Software System Application Management Development Application Management Software Development

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions