Latest Expert Exchange Queries

GST Demo Service software link:
Username: demouser Password: demopass
Get your inventory and invoicing software GST Ready from Binarysoft
sitemapHome | Registration | Job Portal for CA's | Expert Exchange | Currency Converter | Post Matrimonial Ads | Post Property Ads
News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
Popular Search: articles on VAT and GST in India :: ARTICLES ON INPUT TAX CREDIT IN VAT :: TDS :: VAT RATES :: VAT Audit :: due date for vat payment :: ICAI offer Get Windows 7,Office 2010 in Rs.799 Taxes :: ACCOUNTING STANDARD :: empanelment :: TAX RATES - GOODS TAXABLE @ 4% :: Central Excise rule to resale the machines to a new company :: cpt :: ACCOUNTING STANDARDS :: list of goods taxed at 4% :: form 3cd
News Headlines »
 How to save income tax? Here are 6 investments with tax free income
 10 Top salary deductions that can save tax for you
 What are the tax saving options beyond Section 80C?
 The penalties for not paying tax on time
 How to make your salary tax efficient
 I-T Department may go into overdrive this quarter
 Ways to reduce the TDS deduction from your salary
 4 Tips for choosing who prepares your 2017 Tax Returns
 Processing of income-tax returns under section 143(1) of the Income-tax Act which were filed in Forms ITR-1 to 6 & applicability of section 143(1)(a)(vi)
 Price Waterhouse gets 2-year ban in Satyam case
 How to save income tax under section 80C

Why take advantage of an assessee's ignorance
September, 09th 2006
Unclaimed relief can be sought only through a revised return and not through a letter or representation, rules Supreme Court. Imagine a salaried assessee omitting to claim deduction towards profession tax or relief admissible on contribution to LIC. Or, take the case of an assessee deriving income from house property omitting to claim deduction of interest paid on the money borrowed for construction of the house. Naturally, the assessee can be expected to write to the income-tax authorities seeking relief not claimed in the return already filed. Usually, the Income-Tax Officer will grant appropriate deduction based on such requests. Not any more. Goetze India case The Supreme Court has said that such relief can be claimed only through a revised return and not by way of a letter or representation Goetze (India) Ltd. vs. CIT (2006; 284 ITR 323; SC). In this case, for the assessment year 1995-96, the company filed a return on November 30, 1995. It sent a letter to the I-T Department on January 12, 1998 seeking deduction which was not claimed in the return. The Assessing Officer disallowed the deduction on the ground that there was no provision under the Income-Tax Act to make the amendment in the return of income by filing an application at the assessment stage without revising the return. The Court distinguished its earlier ruling in National Thermal Power Company Ltd. vs CIT (229 ITR 383), wherein it had upheld the power of the Income-Tax Appellate Tribunal to admit claims for deduction for the first time based on material on record. A Full Bench of three judges of the Supreme Court rendered the earlier decision. The latest ruling is by a Division Bench. It implies that the Tribunal has wider powers than the Assessing Officer in the matter of admitting grounds for relief not claimed in the return of income. Section 139 of the Income-Tax Act, 1961 permits the filing of a revised return if the taxpayer discovers any omission or wrong statement. Such revised return may be filed any time before the expiry of one year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of the assessment, whichever is earlier. This provision is meant to cover cases of omission to declare incomes in the original return. It is the rare taxpayer who resorts to the filing of revised return for claiming relief when it can always be claimed through a letter. The present Section 143 was brought in by the Finance Act, 1999 with effect from June 1, 1999. Before its substitution, the old Section 143 (1)(a) had the following Proviso: "Provided that in computing the tax or interest payable by or refundable to the assessee, the following adjustment shall be made in the income or loss declared in the return, namely; (ii) any loss carried forward, deduction, allowance or relief, which, on the basis of the information available in such return, accounts or documents, is prima facie admissible but which is not claimed in the return, shall be allowed." The above provision in the law was omitted when Section 143 was recast. Does this mean that the Assessing Officer can make an assessment and include items of income wrongly declared by a bona fide mistake or by denying a due relief just because the taxpayer is not aware of his rights? Is the taxpayer going to be compelled to seek a relief by filing a revised return? `Assist the assessee' There is an old Circular issued by the Central Board of Direct Taxes Circular No: 14 (XL-35) dated April 11, 1955. It states: "Officers of the Department must not take advantage of ignorance of an assessee as to his rights. It is one of their duties to assist a taxpayer in every reasonable way, particularly in the matter of claiming and securing reliefs and in this regard the Officers should take the initiative in guiding a taxpayer where proceedings or other particulars before them indicate that some refund or relief is due to him. This attitude would, in the long run, benefit the Department for it would inspire confidence in him that he may be sure of getting a square deal from the Department. Although, therefore, the responsibility for claiming refunds and reliefs rests with assessee on whom it is imposed by law, officers should (a) draw their attention to any refunds or reliefs to which they appear to be clearly entitled but which they have omitted to claim for some reason or other; (b) freely advise them when approached by them as to their rights and liabilities and as to the procedure to be adopted for claiming refunds and reliefs." The above circular was quoted with approval by the Kerala High Court in Parekh Bros. vs CIT (150 ITR 105), the Bombay High Court in Dattatraya Gopal Shette vs CIT (150 ITR 460) and by the Delhi Tribunal in Smt Gopi Devi. vs ITO (1989; Taxation 92 (4) - 101). The Board should reiterate the above instructions once again. T. C. A. Ramanujam (The author is a former Chief Commissioner of Income-Tax.)
Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2018 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Binarysoft Technologies - Achievements

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions