The Chairmen / CEOs of all Regional Rural Banks/ State and Central Co-operative Banks
Financial Inclusion access to banking Services Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account
Please refer toparagraphs 88 and 89of Monetary Policy Statement for the year 2012-13 announced on April 17, 2012.
2. Regional Rural Banks and State and Central Co-operative Banks were advised in December 2005 to make available a basic banking 'no-frills' account either with 'nil' or very low minimum balance as well as charges that would make such accounts accessible to vast sections of population. With a view to doing away with the stigma associated with the nomenclature no-frills account and making the basic banking facilities available in a more uniform manner across banking system, it has been decided to modify the guidelines on opening of basic banking no-frills accounts. Accordingly, in supersession of instructions contained inRPCD.CO.No.RRB.BC.58/03.05.33(F)/ 2005-06 dated December 27, 2005andRPCD.RF.BC. 54/07.38.01/2005-06 dated December 13, 2005on Financial Inclusion, banks are advised to offer a Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account which will offer following minimum common facilities to all their customers:
i. The Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account should be considered a normal banking service available to all.
ii. This account shall not have the requirement of any minimum balance.
iii. The services available in the account will include deposit and withdrawal of cash at bank branch as well as ATMs; receipt/credit of money through electronic payment channels or by means of deposit/collection of cheques drawn by Central/State Government agencies and departments;
iv. While there will be no limit on the number of deposits that can be made in a month, account holders will be allowed a maximum of four withdrawals in a month, including ATM withdrawals;and
v. Facility of ATM card or ATM-cum-Debit Card.
3. The above facilities will be provided without any charges. Further, no charge will be levied for non-operation/activation of in-operative Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account.
4. Banks would be free to evolve other requirements including pricing structure for additional value-added services beyond the stipulated basic minimum services on reasonable and transparent basis and applied in a non-discriminatory manner.
6. Holders of Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account will not be eligible for opening any other savings bank deposit account in that bank. If a customer has any other existing savings bank deposit account in that bank, he/she will be required to close it within 30 days from the date of opening a Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account.
7. The existing basic banking no-frills accounts should be converted to Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account as per the instructions contained in para 2 above.