sitemapHome | Registration | Job Portal for CA's | Expert Exchange | Currency Converter | Post Matrimonial Ads | Post Property Ads
News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
Latest Expert Exchange
« Direct Tax »
 Here's why you should not delay filing your income tax returns
 Six changes in ITR 1 form that you must know ITR 2018-19
 Here are top 5 ways to save money, and you won’t even feel the pinch
 Why checking Form 26AS is necessary Income tax return (ITR) filing
 Central Board of Direct Taxes signs three more unilateral Advance Pricing Agreements with taxpayers
 5 different ways to e-verify Income Tax Return
 CBDT warns Income Tax Department (ITD) over "high-pitched" assessments against taxpayers
 A step by step guide on how to pay due income tax ITR 2018-19
 How to claim HRA exemption at the time of filing income tax returns
 All You Want To Know About Income Tax Return Form 1 Sahaj
 How to save income tax through your family members? What you must know
 Do you need to file income tax return (ITR) if TDS is paid?
 Income Tax Return filing for AY 2018-19: How to file ITR for self employed in India

How to save income tax through your family members? What you must know
July, 06th 2018

Investing in the name of parents and parents-in-law can not only help save tax but also ensure higher post-tax returns on investment.

Saving tax through family! Surprised! Yes, we can save tax through our family members, i.e., parents, major children and wife. To save tax through family members we need to invest in ways that our tax burden shifts to our family members and we can take the benefit of income tax slabs. Saving tax through family means not only saving in tax but also means higher post-tax returns on your investment.
Here is how we can save tax through our family members.

Save tax through parents

You can save tax through parents as well as through parents-in-law. To achieve this goal, you need to give away a portion of your funds, either as a gift or a loan, to your parents as well as your parents-in-law so that in years to follow your income tax burden becomes lighter as the income on funds transferred by you to them would bring in income which would be taxed in their hands.

Let’s assume that both your parents are senior citizens. Here’s how you go about it. Income tax deductions allow senior citizens a tax-free income of Rs 3 lakh. To exhaust this limit, say, you gift `28 lakh to each parent in cash. Of this, both can individually put Rs 15 lakh in a senior citizens savings scheme that earns a return of 8.3% and pays interest every quarter. Each will get yearly interest of nearly `1.2 lakh. If they invest the remaining `13 lakh each in the State Bank of India’s (SBI) fixed deposit (FD) of eight years (at an interest rate of 7.25%) that pays interest each quarter, it will fetch them each an income of nearly `0.95 lakh annually. That means your parents have individually earned `.215 lakh each year. With the tax-free limit at `3 lakh they don’t even need to file tax returns.

Same planning can be done for parents in laws.

Save tax through major children All your adult children are as solid as a rock to help you save income tax. After October 1, 1998, the provisions relating to gift tax have ceased to exist. Now you are free to gift away your money to your children without attracting gift tax. Investment made by major children out of the gift received by you will be taxed in the hands of your children. If for any reason you are inclined to make gifts to your major children, then you may give interest-free loans to your adult children so as to legally reduce your taxable income.

It is lawful to grant interest-free loans to adult children from your own funds.

Save tax through your wife

Married taxpayers can make a substantial saving of income tax by setting up two separate independent income tax files, one for the husband and another for the wife. If your wife is already filing Income Tax Return then she may continue filing the return with her new surname (in case she has changed it) and address or with her old surname and address. However, care should be taken to ensure that no gift or transfer from husband is made to the wife as clubbing provision may get attracted.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2018 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Customer relationship management software CRM software Operational CRM Collaborative CRM

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions