News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
General »
 Income tax benefits on NPS explained in 5 points
 Why new tax surcharge has stunned foreign portfolio investors
  How to set-off short-term capital gains?
 Tax receipts growing but not fast enough for new government
 How Modi government's budgets have reduced your income tax burden
 Tax department tightens the noose on offenders
 How to set-off short-term capital gains?
 Government to revamp procedure for tax assessment
 I filed my ITR for AY 2019-20 but made a mistake. How can I rectify it?
 Stricter rules on dealing with tax evasion kicks in from today
 New income tax rules from today, no escape just by paying penalty
 How to link your Aadhaar Card with Income Tax Return?
 Got a tax notice? Here’s what you should do
 How tax efficiency varies across states
 Follow deadline or you may face these consequences Income Tax Return filing

I filed my ITR for AY 2019-20 but made a mistake. How can I rectify it?
June, 24th 2019

I am a senior citizen and have saving bank accounts in two banks. Recently, I filed my income tax return for AY 2019-20 but forgot to mention the interest income from one of these accounts. I have to pay tax on this income. How can I rectify this mistake?

Amit Maheshwari Partner, Ashok Maheshwary and Associates replies: Taxpayers can file revised income tax return for assessment years 2019-20 up to 31 March 2020. But as you need to disclose your additional interest income on which you have to pay tax, you can revise your return till 31 July 2019 to save any penal interest on the incremental tax liability.

I bought a plot in 1996 and constructed a house on it in 1997-98. I added another floor to it in 2003-04. I have no record of the construction costs. How should I compute the capital gains tax if I sell the house?

Rakesh Bhargava Director, Taxmann replies: You can add the cost incurred on building the new floor to the cost of acquisition of the property only if you have evidence to show that you incurred the costs. As this property is a long-term capital asset, you have the option of assuming the market value as on 1 April 2001 as its cost of acquisition. This cost can be further adjusted on the basis of the cost-inflation index for the financial year in which the property is sold. You can then subtract this indexed cost of purchase from the selling price of the property to arrive at the capital gain.

How are gains from portfolio management services (PMS) taxed? Is the grandfathering clause applicable to PMS?

Ashok Shah Partner, N.A. Shah Associates replies: In case of PMS, shares and securities are held in the name of the taxpayer and the PMS adviser acts on his behalf. The income from the sale of shares through PMS will, therefore, be taxed in the same manner as any direct investment by the taxpayer. Similarly, as is the case with direct investment by a taxpayer, investments via PMS will also be eligible for the grandfathering benefit.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2019 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Customer relationship management software CRM software Operational CRM Collaborative CRM

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions