News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
General »
 How to link your Aadhaar Card with Income Tax Return?
 Got a tax notice? Here’s what you should do
 How tax efficiency varies across states
 Follow deadline or you may face these consequences Income Tax Return filing
 How to make full use of section 80D to save tax on health insurance?
 Concessional income tax rate in traders' list of demands for Modi govt
 GST Council may consider national bench of AAAR next month
 Non-filing of Income Tax Return can’t be a ground to deny Capital Gain Exemption:a
 Decoding income tax exemptions
 Dividends from equities are tax-free for investors
  Income Tax officers to fast track disposal of appeal cases
 How can we save capital gains tax on sale of property? My wife and I are senior citizens.
 Finance Ministry Says Reports Of Decline In ITR E-Filing For FY19 Are Incorrect

How tax efficiency varies across states
June, 10th 2019

In 2018-19, 52% of the revenue receipts of Indian states is estimated to have come from their own revenue and the remaining 48% from transfers from the center. State governments clearly rely heavily on their own revenue raising capabilities. However, a state’s ability to raise revenues varies sharply across India, shows a new study, authored by Sacchidananda Mukherjee of NIPFP.

Mukherjee shows that, in addition to the size of the economy, a state’s tax base, the amount a government can raise through taxes, depends heavily on the structural composition of the economy. For instance, the tax base is lower in states that have a larger share of manufacturing and mining or industrial firms vis-à-vis states where agriculture is more important. While in states where services are more important than agriculture, the tax base is higher. To show all this, Mukherjee analyzes value-add tax (VAT) data for states between 2001 and 2016 when VAT was the most important source of revenue for states.

Mukherjee also reveals that tax efficiency, how effectively state can tax their tax base, has a dynamic relationship with income levels: tax efficiency initially increases with per-capita income of states, before reaching a plateau, following which any further rise in per capita income is associated with a fall in tax efficiency.

An analysis of states ranked on VAT efficiency reveals that efficiency in relatively high-income states, such as Goa and Haryana, has been falling over the years and improving in low-income states such as Chhattisgarh and Odisha. Broadly, there was no sign of convergence in VAT efficiency across states. The authors argue that these findings are relevant for states even with the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax. And to address these variations in tax efficiency, the authors argue that states need to conduct in-depth assessments of their existing tax administration.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2019 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Integrated Software Solutions Integrated Software Development Integrated Software Services Integrated Software Solutions India Integrated Softw

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions