Latest Expert Exchange Queries

Make your inventory and invoicing software GST Ready from Binarysoft
sitemapHome | Registration | Job Portal for CA's | Expert Exchange | Currency Converter | Post Matrimonial Ads | Post Property Ads
News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Service Tax | Sales Tax | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Indirect Tax | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing
Popular Search: TDS :: ACCOUNTING STANDARDS :: VAT RATES :: ACCOUNTING STANDARD :: ARTICLES ON INPUT TAX CREDIT IN VAT :: cpt :: Central Excise rule to resale the machines to a new company :: due date for vat payment :: empanelment :: articles on VAT and GST in India :: list of goods taxed at 4% :: VAT Audit :: ICAI offer Get Windows 7,Office 2010 in Rs.799 Taxes :: form 3cd :: TAX RATES - GOODS TAXABLE @ 4%
From the Courts »
 Canyon Financial Services Ltd Vs. Income Tax Officer
 Chintels India Limited Vs. Deputy Commissioner Of Income Tax – Circle 8
 Commissioner Of Income Tax Vs. International Tractors Ltd.
 Hcl Technologies Ltd. Vs. Deputy Commissioner Of Income Tax Central Circle-2 & Anr.
 New Delhi Television Ltd vs. ACIT (ITAT Delhi)
 John Fowler (India) Pvt. Ltd vs. DCIT (ITAT Mumbai)
 CIT vs. The Mumbai Metropolitan Regional Iron and Steel Market Committee (Bombay High Court)
 KSS Petron Private Ltd vs. ACIT (Bombay High Court)
 JK Mittal & Co vs. UOI (No. 2) (Delhi High Court)
 Pr CIT vs. Shri Mahila Sewa Sahakari Bank Ltd (Gujarat High Court)
 Pr CIT Vs. PPC Business And Products Pvt Ltd (Delhi High Court)

Claiming credit for the tax paid in UK
June, 28th 2008

I am an IT employee. In the last financial year I was transferred to UK for about eight months.

During the period when I was in UK, the salary was paid to me there after deducting the taxes that are payable in the UK.

If I were to transfer the income earned in UK to India, will the same be taxable in India, particularly given that the same has already been taxed in the UK? Hemant Pant

From the facts given by you and assuming you have been working in India throughout prior to going to the UK, you would be a resident and ordinarily resident in India in accordance with the Section 6 of the Income Tax Act. You are also most likely to be a resident of India in accordance with Article 4 of the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement between India and UK.

Given this background, the salary earned in UK would be taxable in India whether or not the same is transferred to India.

You may, however, claim credit for the tax paid in UK and reduce the Indian tax payable by the taxes paid in UK in accordance with the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement between India and UK.

Such credit should, however, not exceed the tax payable in India on such doubly taxed income.

It is understood that the Section 139 of the Income Tax Act has been amended by substituting the words 30th September in place of the words 31st October with effect from April 1, 2008.

In the given context, I request you to clarify whether the due date for filing returns for an assessee subject to tax audit under Section 44AB for the assessment year 2008-09 would be October 31, 2008 or September 30, 2008. Subrahmanyan

Your are correct in pointing out that the term due date in the second explanation to Section 139(1) has been amended, so as to provide that in the case of a company, any other person subject to audit under the Income Tax Act or any other Act or in case of a working partner of a firm whose accounts are to be audited under the Income Tax Act or under any other Act, the due date would be the 30th day of September of the assessment year, as against the due date being the 31st day of October of the assessment year, prior to the amendment made by the Finance Act 2008, with effect from April 1, 2008.

Given that the amendment has been made with effect from April 1, 2008, it will have to be understood that even for the assessment year 2008-09, the return of income in case of a person subject to audit under Section 44AB will have to be filed on or before September 30, 2008.

Tuition fees payable for the education of children was earlier eligible for tax benefit up to a maximum limit of Rs 12,000 per child and further subject to a maximum of up to two children.

Kindly clarify whether these limits still applies? Bala

Section 80C allows a deduction in respect of tuition fees (excluding any payment towards any development fees or donation or payment of similar nature) whether at the time of admission or thereafter.

To any university, college, school or other educational institution situated in India.

For the purpose of full-time education of any two children of an individual.

Section 80C does not, however, place any restriction on the quantum of tuition fee that would be eligible for deduction.

Section 80C, however, has an overall restriction whereby the deduction under this section cannot exceed Rs 1 lakh.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2017 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Integrated Software Solutions Integrated Software Development Integrated Software Services Integrated Software Solutions India Integrated Softw

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions