The Board of Studies is primarily engaged in imparting education mainly through distance education mode to the students of the professional course of Chartered Accountancy as well as Professional Education courses leading to the Chartered Accountancy. To serve the needs of students it performs several functions which may be broadly summarized as follows:
* Preparation and continuous revision of comprehensive study materials covering all the subjects prescribed for study by the students undergoing Professional Education Course, Compulsory Computer Training Programme for 100 hours, Course on General Management and Communication Skills and Chartered Accountancy course. The study materials are distributed to the students registered for various courses through regional offices and selected branches. The study materials include, inter alia, study modules, suggested answers, Revision Test Papers, Periodical supplements, newsletter, etc. * Attending to large number of communications received from members/students/ public, relating to various aspects of Education & Training. * Counselling the students through correspondence, E-mail as well as personal discussions. * The Board is also conducting, on a regular basis, Seminars, All India and Regional Conferences, Residential Courses, Elocution and quiz contest for the benefit of students
* Organizing oral coaching classes (Revision/Intensified) at various centres, with the assistance of Regional Councils and Branches and reimbursement of deficits incurred in organizing such classes as per the Boards Guidelines. * Delivering Lectures to the Students in classes organised by Regional Councils/Branches.
Hindi Study Materials
* Co-ordination of activities relating to Publication of Hindi Study Materials by authorized private publishers.
* Formulation of Recommendations regarding books received for inclusion in the list of recommended books.
* Analysis of the Results of the Examinations * Preparing, updating and supplying to students Revisional Materials, updates on Taxation & Corporate Laws, etc. before each examination, Compilation of Questions and Answers in certain selected subjects.
* Granting accreditation to suitable institutes for conducting oral classes and monitoring their performance.
Computer Training Scheme
* To meet the widespread challenges posed by developments in the field of Information Technology the Board of Studies has structured a well defined course for a duration of 100 hours. This includes teaching, practical hands-on experience and project work through computers. The course is conducted through the computer labs of the ICAI located in regions and branches all over India.
Course on General Management and Communication Skills
* The Board of Studies is also conducting through Regional Councils and their Branches a 15 days full time Course on General Management and Communications Skills. A student is expected to attend the Course after completion of practical training and before enrolment as a member.
* Contributing certain features to the Journal such as Legal Decisions in the field of Taxation and Corporate Laws, Book Review, etc.
* Publication of monthly newsletter `The Chartered Accountant Student (1,40,600 copies every month) and its distribution. (including preparation of regular features such as Academic update/articles/case study/quiz contest, etc. for the Newsletter) and evaluation of the responses received for such features.
* Preparation of Audio-cassettes for students on different subjects and arranging for their supply to Regions/Branches.
Seminars, Conferences, Residential Courses, etc.
* Organization of All India Conference of C.A. Students, One Day Seminars, Elocution & Quiz Contests, Joint Seminars with Universities, National Conventions, Preparation of uniform background materials for the benefit of the students, * Organization of Residential Courses for students and Faculty Development Programmes. * Disbursing grants for various schemes like Revision Classes, One-Day Seminars, Modular Training Programmes, Regional Conferences. s.
* Organisation of Career Counselling activities in schools and colleges giving the message of chartered accountancy to the students.
* Publication of a series of booklets on various aspects of Self-development such as Personality Development, Public Speaking, Communication Skills, Preparing for Examinations, etc.
* Maintaining liaison with the students associations and their branches and motivating them to organize various educational activities for students in co-ordination with the concerned Regions/Branches
* Administration of Need-based, merit-based, merit-cum-need based and Endowment Scholarship schemes for the students.
Books for Library
* Review of books to be purchased for Library
The Board is also playing a crucial role in the functioning of five non-standing committees. The committees where faculty of the Board of Studies are providing support are as follows:
* Committee on Financial Markets & Investors Protection * Direct Taxes Committee * Indirect Taxes Committee * Committee on Information Technology * Committee on Management Accounting
Review of scheme of education and training
Periodically, the Board of Studies is also engaged in the review of the scheme of Education and Training through Committee for Review of Education and Training. This committee recommends changes in the syllabus and the scheme to the Council.