Regarding issues relating to implementation of Ministry of Steels Order S.O. 415(E) dated 12.03.2012 and Application of BIS Specification No. IS: 227
April, 09th 2013
Circular No. 14/2013 - Customs
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Excise & Customs
Room No. 253A, North Block
New Delhi, Dated 5th, April, 2013
All Chief Commissioners of Customs / Customs (Prev.).
All Chief Commissioners of Customs & Central Excise.
All Commissioners of Customs / Customs (Prev.).
All Commissioners of Customs & Central Excise.
All Director Generals under CBEC.
Sir / Madam,
Subject: Issues relating to implementation of Ministry of Steel’s Order S.O. 415(E) dated 12.03.2012 and Application of BIS Specification No. IS: 227. - reg.
References have been received in the Board raising concerns on the applicability of the scope of BIS Specification No. IS: 227 issued by Ministry of Steel Order vide S.O. 415(E) dated 12.03.2012.
2. The same has been examined in consultation with Ministry of Steel. Ministry of Steel has clarified as below: -
1. It is not appropriate that Indian Standard IS: 277 covers Galvanized sheets only for roofing, panelling and lock forming. It includes all Hot Dipped Galvanized sheets/strips unless and otherwise something is specifically excluded from Indian Standard and/or clarification is issued by BIS stating the exclusion of particular product.
2. Electro Galvanized sheets and Galvanised sheets/strips fall outside the purview of IS:277 and hence such product whether in prime or secondary/defective condition are not covered under the IS:277 or the Quality Control Order issued by the Ministry of Steel.
3. One of the prime objective of the Steel and Steel Products Quality Control Order is to restrict/prohibit production/sale/import of substandard material. Therefore, import of any substandard product (Second/secondary/defective/offcut etc.) in respect of any of the product covered in the Indian Standard covered under the Quality Control Order is not permitted. Accordingly, import of seconds/secondary/defective/offcut Hot Dipped Galvanized Steel sheets/coils are not permitted as per the Quality Control Order. It is mainly because though the material is similar to IS:277 in description, it fails to meet the technical requirement prescribed in the standard. Further storage, sell, distribution of such substandard product whether produced domestically or imported is prohibited in domestic market.
3. Board desires the aforementioned clarification should be complied with by field formations. Suitable Public Notices or standing orders may be issued to guide the trade/ Industry and officers.
4. Difficulties, if any, faced in implementation of above provisions may be brought to the notice of the Board, immediately.
Under Secretary to the Government of India (Customs IV)
Site is maintained under supervision of Directorate General of Systems and Data Management, New Delhi