sitemapHome | Registration | Job Portal for CA's | Expert Exchange | Currency Converter | Post Matrimonial Ads | Post Property Ads
News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
Latest Expert Exchange
General »
 Blow for I-T department’s year-end tax recovery drive
 National Guidelines on Responsible Business Conduct.
 Best tax saving investment for my retired mother
 You don’t have to pay tax if your brother gifts a property to you
 Income Tax: Claim capital gains tax benefit on sale of house judiciously
 How to secure your e- Tax Filing Accounts through e - Filing Vault a
 Is the taxman trying to mend its ways or what?
 TDS Benefits Announced In Budget 2019 And What They Mean For You
 Government forms panel to solve angel tax issue
 Government may miss direct tax collection target
 Gifts received from a relative are tax-exempt
 Companies face action over TDS non-payment
 Expect Reduction In Corporate Tax Rate
 How income tax slabs have changed since Independence

You dont have to pay tax if your brother gifts a property to you
March, 12th 2019

From an income-tax perspective, generally, the sale or relinquishment of your brother’s share of property to you would be a transaction subject to capital gains taxation rules. However, if the understanding between your brother and you is that you will pay no consideration (in any form) in exchange, this transaction may be regarded as a gift by your brother to you.

When an individual receives an immovable property as gift from a specified relative, including brother, the transaction does not give rise to tax implications in either your or your relative’s hands.

Generally, sale, relinquishment, gift or transfer of an immovable property, by any other mode, can be effected by a registered gift deed along with payment of applicable stamp duty, depending on the state in which the property is situated. However, you should seek legal opinion on appropriate documentation and clarify any queries from the stamp duty perspective.

In your case, given the facts, the onus of proving that the transfer of flat is a gift or irrevocable transfer would be on you and your brother; there should be robust documentation to support the claim.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2019 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
System Testing Solution Manual Software Testing Solutions Automation Software Testing Solutions System Workflow Testing System Manual Testing

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions