sitemapHome | Registration | Job Portal for CA's | Expert Exchange | Currency Converter | Post Matrimonial Ads | Post Property Ads
News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
Latest Expert Exchange
« News Headlines »
 5 Naew Tax rules you should know to plan your savings for FY 2018-19
  How to fill the new details required in ITR-1
 How to fill the new details required in ITR-1
 How to submit Form 15H, Form 15G to avoid TDS on interest income
 What is tax deducted at source (TDS)?
 Income Tax Return filing 2018: Here are some important tips for you
 Change in Examination Venue in Thane, Zone – II, May 2018 Examinations
 Here’s all you need to know New Income Tax return for salaried class available on IT portal
 What to do if you missed the (second) tax deadline
 Income-tax (5th Amendment) Rules, 2018 - Notification under section 9A (3) of the Income-tax Act, 1961 in respect of Fund Manager Regime
 Income Tax department warns salaried class again filing wrong ITRs

Taxability of income depends on
March, 11th 2010

An individual is taxed based on his residential status in India. The residential status, in turn, is determined based on the physical stay of an individual in the relevant financial year (tax year) as well as preceding ten tax years. This is particularly relevant in respect of Indians working overseas or having income/income earning assets outside India.


Broadly, and individual could be a resident or a non-resident in a particular tax year. Once an individuals residential status is determined to be a resident, it is further examined whether he is an ordinary resident or not an ordinary resident in India.


An individual is said to be a resident in India if he fulfils any of the following two conditions. First, if he is present in India for a period of 182 days or more in that tax year OR second, if he is present in India for a period of 60 days or more during the relevant tax year and at least 365 days or more during the four preceding tax years. In case an individual does not satisfy any of the above two basic conditions, then he is said to be a non-resident.


In the case of a citizen of India, who leaves India in any tax year for the purposes of employment outside India, the above said period of 60 days is substituted by 182 days. This is particularly beneficial for individuals going and working overseas in a particular tax year.

Similarly, in the case of a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin who being outside India, comes on a visit to India in any tax year, the above said period of 60 days is substituted by 182 days. This is helpful for non-resident Indians who visit India for family or other purposes.


In the case of an individual who is a resident, it is to be further determined whether he is an ordinary resident or not an ordinary resident. A person is said to be not ordinary resident if he satisfies any of the following additional conditions. First, if he has been a non-resident in India in nine out of the 10 previous years preceding the relevant tax year OR second, if he has been in India for 729 days or less in the seven tax years preceding the relevant tax year. If none of the above two conditions are satisfied, then a person is said to be an ordinary resident.


An individual who is an ordinary resident is taxable on his worldwide income, irrespective of the place of receipt or accrual of such income. Thus, broadly speaking, rental income, business income, interest, dividends, capital gains etc. earned / received overseas would be taxable in India.

In the case of a person who is not Ordinarily Resident, any income other than income accruing or arising outside India is taxable in India. However, in the case of such income that accrues or arises outside India is derived from a business controlled in or a professional set-up in India, then the same would also be taxable in India.

In case an individual is a non-resident, then only income received / deemed to be received or accrued / deemed to be accrued in India is taxable in India. Thus, broadly speaking, his overseas income would not be taxable in India, provided it is first received outside India.


It is also important to examine the conditions laid out under the respective Double Taxation Avoidance Agreements (DTAAs), also know as treaties, which India has entered into with other countries to finally determine the taxability or otherwise for any particular source of income.

Generally, the DTAAs provide for taxability of income in one country. Else, if the income is subject to tax in both the countries, then credit could be claimed for tax paid in the other country, subject to the prescribed conditions.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2018 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Binarysoft Technologies - Our Vision

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions