In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) of section 295 of the Income-tax Act, 1961 (43 of 1961), the Central Board of Direct Taxes hereby makes the following rules further to amend the Income-tax Rules, 1962, namely:-
1. (1) These rules may be called the Income-tax (Fourth Amendment) Rules, 2008. (2) They shall come into force from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the Income-tax Rules, 1962, after rule 124, the following rule shall be inserted, namely:-
Electronic-payment of tax.
125. (1) The following persons shall pay tax electronically on or after the 1st day of April, 2008:- (a) a company; and (b) a person (other than a company), to whom provisions of section 44AB are applicable.
(2) For the purposes of this rule :- (a) pay tax electronically shall mean, payment of tax by way of- (i) internet banking facility of the authority bank; or (ii) credit or debit cards; (b) the word tax shall have the meaning as assigned to it in clause (43) of section 2 of the Act and shall include interest and penalty.
[F. No. 134/37/2007-TPL]
Mandatory E-payment of Income Tax
No.402/92/2006-MC (05 of 2008) Government of India / Ministry of Finance Department of Revenue Central Board of Direct Taxes
New Delhi dated the 23rd January 2008
The optional scheme of electronic payment of taxes for income-tax payers was introduced in 2004. With a view to expand the scope of electronic payment of taxes, it is proposed to make the scheme mandatory for the following categories of tax-payers:-
(i) All corporate assesses; (ii) All assesses (other than company) to whom provisions of section 44AB of the Income Tax Act are applicable.
2. The scheme of mandatory electronic payment of taxes for income-tax payers is proposed to be made applicable from 1st April, 2008.
3. Tax-payers can make electronic payment of taxes through the internet banking facility offered by the authorized banks. They will also be provided with an option to make electronic payment of taxes through internet by way of credit or debit cards.