Latest Expert Exchange Queries

GST Demo Service software link:
Username: demouser Password: demopass
Get your inventory and invoicing software GST Ready from Binarysoft
sitemapHome | Registration | Job Portal for CA's | Expert Exchange | Currency Converter | Post Matrimonial Ads | Post Property Ads
News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
Popular Search: VAT Audit :: ARTICLES ON INPUT TAX CREDIT IN VAT :: VAT RATES :: articles on VAT and GST in India :: TAX RATES - GOODS TAXABLE @ 4% :: ACCOUNTING STANDARDS :: form 3cd :: list of goods taxed at 4% :: cpt :: due date for vat payment :: empanelment :: TDS :: Central Excise rule to resale the machines to a new company :: ACCOUNTING STANDARD :: ICAI offer Get Windows 7,Office 2010 in Rs.799 Taxes
« Direct Tax »
 CBDT issues 24 FAQs on long term capital gains taxation
 Losing sleep over how to submit Income Tax investment proof? Your guide to glitch-free process
 Explanatory Notes to the Provisions of the Finance Act, 2017
 Here’s how you should approach tax planning
 Long Term Capital Gain under Finance Bill 2018
 Awareness drive on income tax returns filing
  Income Tax raid cases not to be processed under e-assessment: CBDT
 Income Tax raid cases not to be processed under e-assessment: CBDT
 CBDT chief to discuss revenue mobilisation with officers
 Income tax arises in the year of accrual or receipt of income
 How new LTCG tax with STT violates three basic principles of taxation
 Exemption Under Section 10(10b) Of Income Tax Act, 1961
 CBDT enters into seven advance pricing pacts in January
 What’s the impact of LTCG tax on equity mutual funds?
 No notice to taxpayers in case of minor filing mismatch in income tax returns: CBDT

Income tax arises in the year of accrual or receipt of income
February, 13th 2018

The chargeability to income tax arises in the year of accrual or receipt of income. Tax incidence does not arise on remittance made

Based on the facts as stated by you in your query, you have been a resident of India until FY 2016-17. During FY 2017-18 (in September 2017), you moved to the UAE for work. It is not clear if you have gone on an employment contract or on a contract of some other nature. Therefore, if you have moved to UAE for employment, since your period of stay in India for this year is less than 182 days, you will be a non-resident Indian for FY 2017-18. Alternatively, if you have gone on a contract of any other nature, since your stay in India is greater than 60 days, you will qualify as a resident of India for FY 2017-18. So it's important that you first identify what your residential status in India is.

For the FY 2018-19, since your days of stay in India will be greater than 182 days, you will qualify as a resident of India and your global income would be taxable. Accordingly, you will be taxed on the income you receive from the UAE for the 2 months of April and May 2018 too. In case your UAE income has already been taxed in the UAE, you can still claim such taxes paid there as a deduction from the tax payable by you on such income in India in accordance with the India-UAE Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement.

I lived in the US for 2 years and did local work there. The money was transferred to my account via cheque. I came back to India 2 years ago and was still carrying the debit card from that bank account, which has close to $7,000. It is easiest for me to use the debit card to withdraw the money from that account. The card is expiring in 3 months and I want to take out or use all the money in it. If I do that, will there be any tax implication on me?

The chargeability to income tax arises in the year of accrual or receipt of income. Tax incidence does not arise on remittance made. In your case, we are assuming that in the year you received income in the US, you were a resident there and have also paid the taxes on it in the US. So, your subsequent arrival in India and your qualifying as a resident of India in the later years when you propose to withdraw your foreign earnings, would not make you liable to pay taxes on the same income in India.

I have been in Bahrain for 15 years. I plan to return to India in 3-4 years, and move my savings into an India bank account. From a tax perspective, what is the best way to do it? Can I transfer 10-20% of my corpus every month into my son's and wife’s accounts?

Yes, you can consider transferring a portion of your corpus to the accounts of your son and wife on a monthly basis. This would not give rise to any income tax in their hands as they fall under the specified list of “relatives”, gift of money to whom is exempt from income tax. However, if this money is in turn invested by your wife or son, which yields income, such income would be taxed (clubbed) in your hands when your wife or son are not income taxpayers.

As regards other assets, in case you are contemplating to dispose them, it is recommended that you alienate them before you move back to India permanently to ensure you don’t end up paying taxes on the same in India, as once you become an Indian resident, you would be taxed on your global income.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2018 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Internet Marketing Website Marketing Internet Promotion Internet Marketing India Website Marketing India Internet Promotion India Internet Marketing Consultancy Website Marketing Consulta

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions