1) The Income Tax Act identifies a senior citizen as a person who is 65 years of age or more at any time during the previous year. It provides for special benefits for such persons.
2) As per the IT Act, senior citizens who have an income up to Rs 2.4 lakh per annum are eligible for tax exemption.
3) Senior citizens receive a higher interest (up to 50 bps) on a 5-year fixed deposit, which is eligible for deduction from the total income under Section 80C.
4) Senior citizens can claim exemption on the tax deducted at source (TDS) on interest income earned on deposits. It can be done by submitting Form 15H under Section 197 of the IT Act.
5) Under Section 80D, the limit on the premium paid for medical insurance goes up to Rs 20,000 if the person covered under the policy is a senior citizen.