Latest Expert Exchange Queries

GST Demo Service software link:
Username: demouser Password: demopass
Get your inventory and invoicing software GST Ready from Binarysoft
sitemapHome | Registration | Job Portal for CA's | Expert Exchange | Currency Converter | Post Matrimonial Ads | Post Property Ads
News shortcuts: From the Courts | News Headlines | VAT (Value Added Tax) | Placements & Empanelment | Various Acts & Rules | Latest Circulars | New Forms | Forex | Auditing | Direct Tax | Customs and Excise | ICAI | Corporate Law | Markets | Students | General | Mergers and Acquisitions | Continuing Prof. Edu. | Budget Extravaganza | Transfer Pricing | GST - Goods and Services Tax
Popular Search: ARTICLES ON INPUT TAX CREDIT IN VAT :: ICAI offer Get Windows 7,Office 2010 in Rs.799 Taxes :: form 3cd :: cpt :: due date for vat payment :: articles on VAT and GST in India :: list of goods taxed at 4% :: TDS :: ACCOUNTING STANDARDS :: VAT RATES :: empanelment :: TAX RATES - GOODS TAXABLE @ 4% :: Central Excise rule to resale the machines to a new company :: ACCOUNTING STANDARD :: VAT Audit
General »
 DHFL loan to Manpreet Estates under tax scan
 Council acts to ease cascading tax impact on petroproducts
 Income Tax comes a cropper tracking shell firms
 Income Tax returns: Is rental income from property taxable in hands of homeowners?
 Tax department to engage with corporates to spur receipts
 Furnish Form 67 to claim foreign tax credit in India tax return
 GST: Commerce ministry to write to finance ministry over trademark rule
 GST: Govt issues clarification to address service tax issues, misses key concerns
 How to file LUT/Bond for SEZ units under GST
 Exemption From Capital Gains On Sale Of Agricultural Land
 FinMin wants RBI to lower rates, boost domestic demand
 Employees may have to bear the GST burden on benefits
 Advance tax payout by top cos grows just 2% in Sept quarter
 Why abolishing personal income tax may not be a good idea
 Questions about the GST cess

Furnish Form 67 to claim foreign tax credit in India tax return
October, 03rd 2017

If a person lives in India for more than 182 days and in the remaining period works outside India, and gets a salary for that work, how should we compute the tax liability of the person? To compute tax liability of that person, how should I convert the amount of the salary to India rupees from dollars? How should I decide what exchange rate to consider for this purpose?

—Deepak Joshi

Based on the information available, the person will most likely qualify as ‘Resident and Ordinarily Resident’ (ROR) in India. However, the person may qualify as ‘Resident but Not Ordinarily Resident’ (RNOR) if he satisfies any one of the below mentioned conditions:

(a) Physical presence in India is less than 730 days in 7 financial years immediately preceding the relevant financial year; or

(b) The person qualified as non-resident in 9 out of 10 financial years immediately preceding the relevant financial year.

If the person qualifies as ROR in India, he would be taxed on global income in India. In such a case, salary income from employment exercised in India and salary income from employment exercised outside India will be taxable in India.

The employer is required to withhold tax on your total salary income (both for India and abroad) on a monthly basis. If the employer is not withholding tax, you are personally liable to deposit income tax in India.

To avoid double taxation of salary income from employment exercised in India, you may consider the following:

(a) Check whether there is a Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and the other country;

(b) If yes, claim foreign tax credit for taxes paid outside India against India income-tax payable on doubly taxed salary income as per the relevant article of the DTAA;

(c) Maintain proof of taxes paid outside India (return, challan or any other documentary evidence);

(d) Prepare and file Form 67 along with the income-tax return.

Form 67 is a new requirement effective financial year 2016-17. Under the Income-tax Rules, 1962, foreign tax credit claimed in the India tax return will be allowed only upon furnishing Form 67. This form is in addition to the income-tax return to be filed.

In case there isn’t any DTAA with the other country, foreign tax credit may be claimed under the income-tax law (Section 91).

If the person qualifies as RNOR in India, he would be taxable only on income sourced in India or received in India. In such a case, if the salary income from employment exercised outside India is received outside India, it will not be taxable in India.

As per the Income-tax Rules, 1962, rate of exchange for conversion of foreign currency into Indian currency will be the telegraphic transfer buying rate adopted by the State Bank of India for such currency as on the specified date. The specified date in respect of income chargeable under the head “Salaries” can be either of the following:

(a) Date of payment of salary (if withholding tax provisions are applicable); or

(b) Last day of the month immediately preceding the month in which the salary is due, or is paid in advance or in arrears.

In the above case, if the salary income is taxable in India, the withholding tax provisions will be applicable. Accordingly, the telegraphic transfer buying rate as on date of payment of salary needs to be considered.

Home | About Us | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us
Copyright 2017 CAinINDIA All Right Reserved.
Designed and Developed by Binarysoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
System Testing Solution Manual Software Testing Solutions Automation Software Testing Solutions System Workflow Testing System Manual Testing

Transfer Pricing | International Taxation | Business Consulting | Corporate Compliance and Consulting | Assurance and Risk Advisory | Indirect Taxes | Direct Taxes | Transaction Advisory | Regular Compliance and Reporting | Tax Assessments | International Taxation Advisory | Capital Structuring | Withholding tax advisory | Expatriate Tax Reporting | Litigation | Badges | Club Badges | Seals | Military Insignias | Emblems | Family Crest | Software Development India | Software Development Company | SEO Company | Web Application Development | MLM Software | MLM Solutions